Saturday, September 19, 2009

'Save Money. Save Lives'

“Yeah, she’s still at M.D. Anderson. They told her breast cancer like hers often spreads to the bones and even the brain.”

It was a quick exchange I heard between two women last week in a gym locker room. One woman was describing the horrific fate of her sister-in-law to another.

It was not my intent to eavesdrop. But, I am glad I did. At 27, I still feel somewhat invincible and I needed this sobering reminder.

Leaving the gym, I contacted my personal doctor and set-up an appointment for a long overdue annual physical. My appointment is Oct. 1, the first day of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I encourage every woman who needs to get their yearly check-up to make an appointment this month. You can also mark the month by supporting local breast cancer awareness campaigns:



  • Get the Pink Shopping Card.
    The Julie Rogers “Gift of Life” program is offering 12 days of discount shopping that will “Save Money. Save Lives.”
    The Pink Shopping Card — available at Central Mall, H-E-B, Kroger, Market Basket, Mobiloil Federal Credit Unions, Munro’s Dry Cleaning and Parkdale Mall — is $50 and good Oct. 22 through Nov. 2 at 650 Southeast Texas stores.
    The card, which is tax deductible, guarantees shoppers 20 percent off savings at participating locations.
    Proceeds will benefit “Gift of Life,” which provides free mammograms for medically underserved Southeast Texas women.
    For more details, call (409) 833-3663 or visit giftoflifebmt.org.

  • Adopt Biscuit
    Beginning Oct. 1, Dressbarn shoppers can adopt Biscuit, a stuffed plush dog, for $5, according to a news release issued by the company.
    For each Biscuit customers take home, Dressbarn will give $2 to the American Cancer Society to “support local and national breast cancer initiatives,” the release said.
    Dressbarn is located at 4015 Dowlen Road in Beaumont.

  • Share your wealth of knowledge.
    If you know of other businesses offering campaigns to fight breast cancer, let me know by commenting on this posting.
    Most importantly, encourage the women in your life to get annual breast cancer screenings.

No comments: