Monday, April 27, 2009

Help! It's a fashion crisis!

"Nothing horrible has happened, but ummm ... I need you to call me back ASAP," was the voice mail that greeted me Saturday afternoon.

Heart pounding, I continued to listen - all the while fearing the caller was going to say, "your house is on fire," or "something has happened to one of my children." Turns out, one of my closest pals was just having a fashion crisis.

The problem boiled down to, Liz (that's what I call her for the purpose of this posting) was going to an evening wedding and hated every dress in her closet. It's a crisis we can all relate to.

She said she really wanted to wear a dress she had worn to a wedding in February, but didn't want anyone to think she only had one good dress to her name.

I've been to a number of weddings. Can't tell you what anyone was wearing at any of those events, except the bride wore white and the groom was in a tux. I told Liz to go ahead and rock her February dress again, adding "no one but you will know."

A Sunday text message confirmed just that.

If you want to wear a dress again and fear someone will notice, try these tips:

1. Grab a wrap. Pashminas and scarves are great little disguising devices that can change your entire look and keep you warm when spring nights turn chilly.

2. Choose new accessorise. The first time you wore the dress you wore long dangly earrings. Next time, choose more demure earrings and don a sparkly necklase. Same goes with changing up your shoes and handbags.

3. Make it a hair do. If you wore your hair down at the first wedding, try a fun up-do for the next or vise versa. Your hair will alter the appearance of the dress' neckline.

Now, go celebrate and be marry! Errr, merry!

No comments: