Monday, April 6, 2009

Saving the planet, one shopping bag at a time


My newest life philosophy is to be good to myself, my neighbors and the planet. Cliche, I know. But, if we all take a stand to do to the right thing, I sincerely believe we would relish more in life's simple pleasures.


I took some advice from a magazine article this weekend. In it, a woman said "I quit overeating by really looking at what was on my plate. Once I considered the food as the fuel that would dictate my energy for the day, I began eating more nutritious and well-balanced meals." She lost 180 pounds in the process.


So, that information fed my soul. But, by applying that same thought process not only to my diet but also to the planet, I decided this would be the week that I cut plastic bags out of my life.


I bought a handful of the H-E-B reusable bags and sacked up my own groceries yesterday. The stylish printed bags are durable, and best of all, hold more groceries than a regular shopping bag. I walked out of the store with only three bags - containing anything from a gallon of milk to a can of soup.


Stores like H-E-B, Kroger and even Wal-Mart are encouraging customers to save the environment one reusable bag at a time.


According to an H-E-B ad campaign, the Texas-based chain's recycling efforts save almost two million trees a year. And, when customers use one reusable shopping bag, it replaces six plastic bags, every time it is used.

H-E-B locations in Southeast Texas are currently selling a reusable Eva Longoria Parker Earth Day shopping bags for $1.49 at through April 30. Other reusable bags start at 99 cents at most grocery stores.


So make your mark on the planet, not a blemish!



No comments: